Quick and easy kitchen hack.
Lemons. Limes. Yes you can buy them juiced in coloured plastic bottles that are reminiscent of the fruits from where it came. Yes, that may very well be convenient too. However, you deserve better. The freshness and lively flavour from squeezing a real lemon versus pouring it out of a bottle are like night and day.
Cutting a lemon in quarters and trying to pinch squeeze it isn’t anywhere near as effective as a hinged citrus press. You can pick these up in almost any grocery or kitchen store without breaking the bank. Invest in one. You’ll be glad you did.
How to get the most out of your lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit. Wash the peel of your fruit first.
- roll the room temperature fruit firmly on the counter
- trim the ends off so you see the flesh of the fruit, not just the white pith
- cut it in half
- squeeze for all you are worth
- flip your lemon over and do it again
- Like Britney Spears, flip it over again and do it one more time (I’m paraphrasing here as I don’t listen to her music)
Using a citrus press also minimizes the inevitable lemon juice spraying in your eye problem. Your work space will also remain cleaner too. I will add the squeezed “shells” of the lemon to my water to give it the lightest flavour without bathing my teeth in excessive acid.
Go get your squeeze on.